Thursday, February 08, 2007

Have you tried natto?

Natto is a traditional Japanese food made from fermented soybeans. May be some of you have tried natto already. Some people do not like its taste and I did not like when I ate for the first time. But because it is a rich source of protein and vitamin K, my mom always forced me to eat it when I was young. Now I got used to its taste and order natto sushi whenever i go to Japanese restuarant. Young people are not very concerned about nutrion of food when they eat and natto is not favored by them because it has a very strong smell (unpleasant) and sticky consistency. It is really hard to eat just a whole dish of natto. But in these days, we find natto is used in natto sushi, salad, in miso soup, and etc. There is even natto ice cream (I have not tried yet and i dont think I will ever try it). In the eastern Asia, natto and other soy products are the most popular menues for vegetarians.
Natto is claimed to have many medical benefits. Natto contains a compound Pyrazine, which reduce blood clotting. This may help to avoid thrombosis, as for example in heart attacks, pulmoary embolism, or strokes. Nattō also contains large amounts of Vitamin K, which is involved in the formation of calcium-binding groups in proteins, assisting the formation of bone, and preventing osteoporosis. Moreover, many chemicals alleged to prevent cancer are contained in natto.
It is worth to try this healthy natto if you have not. However, you might not really like its smell and taste so make sure you eat as sushi or sald.

1 comment:

Kunal said...

It's really interesting to learn about this new food, even though I have yet to try it. However, I believe that at times many people commit a fallacy of overgenerilization when saying that young people are not concerned with healthy foods. Some foods are just an aquired taste. For example, the first couple of times I tasted sushi, I despised it. But after constantly trying it at dinner I've really learned to enjoy it.